Saturday, June 22, 2013

THANKS AND MOVIES WE LOVE

First, thanks to each of you who commented on the Dog Gone Blog Hop for Charity. I have rounded up the donation for Parker Paws. They work diligently to foster cats and dogs and spare them from our local quick-kill shelter.

Last night my husband and I watched "The Pricess Bride" again. This movie is rated one of the top 100 all-time favorites of American movie viewers. Certainly, so many phrases from this movie have entered our vernacular, including "I do not think that means what you think it means,." "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya," and "As you wish." Plus, this movie always leaves me with a smile.


Not all memorable movies leave me smiling. Remember "Sixth Sense?" Wow, was that scary for me. Hero was out of town when Darling Daughter 2 and I saw that movie, so I had to go home to a dark house in our rural area. Now I'm never afraid to be alone, but in this case I dragged her right back to the ticket window and purchased our seats to the next showing of a Steve Martin comedy. But, that was a terrific movie and I hear people mention, "I see dead people" in conversation about something frightening.



"The Wizard of Oz" is a classic movie shown at least once a year on a major network. I do love the story, love Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, Ed Wynn, etc. But to me as a small child, that movie was frightening. I was a  puny asthmatic whose strong medicine caused hallucinogenic dreams. For years, I dreamed the wicked witch flew overhead chanting. Instead of "I'll get you yet, Dorothy," she used my name. Yes, I was a wuss. Hey, I was a kid, but I really have to give my parents extra credit for not drowning me or dropping me off at an orphanage.



Do you recall the first time you saw "Star Wars?" That was an amazing experience, wasn't it? I can hardly wait to see the new version that has recently been released. And "Star Trek" falls into this same category. These movies created a new class of fans who became a cult following.



Another favorite is "Charade" starring Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. My favorite line is "I already have so many friends, I couldn't possibly make another friend until one of them dies." I always wanted to look like Audrey Hepburn, who was a kind as she was beautiful. Unfortunately, I shot up passed her height when I was twelve or thirteen and kept going to five feet eight inches.


Remember when the hero and heroine had to be in the same scene early in the movie? "Sleepless in Seattle" dispelled that rule. The movie is still popular and shown on TV frequently. Tom Hanks still commands huge crowds for any movie in which he stars.

Which brings up "Forrest Gump" and the genius of that movie. How many times do you hear someone say, "Life is like a box of chocolates" or "Run, Forrest, run?"



And I haven't even touched on the movies of John Wayne, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, and so many of the other great male starts. Or Meryl Streep, Sandara Bullock, Amy Adams, and the great female actresses.

What is your favorite movie? Who are your favorite actors?

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Joanna Aislinn said...

I have a few suck-me-in-every-time favorites. Pretty Woman, The Shawshank Redemption, Knight and Day, PS I Love You, Witness and Toy Story. (Just off the top of my head.)

I'm sure there are more, though I don't do movies all that often these days. Time is an issue, as is--perhaps the greater issue--my very sad attention span, lol.