Friday, June 07, 2024

Kids!


By Caroline Clemmons



Frequently, my books include children as supporting characters. In my books, of course, the homeless children find great homes with loving couples. The 19th century had many children living on the streets. (Unfortunately, there still are.) Readers of Charles Dickens’ Oliver Twist or of Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables (much better and more in depth than the play or the movie) are provided a glimpse into the grim life of orphans or abandoned children. Who could forget Victor Hugo’s young boy living in a culvert?

But I write happily-ever-after books that offer a vacation for the minds of those experiencing exhaustion from the hectic lives we live today. Or, who simply like a fun story to read quickly. I hope I offer food for thought even though the books are not lengthy tomes.
In my opinion, the way a character reacts to a child reveals a great deal about the person. Yes, the characters are people in my mind, friends I get to know well or villains who are dealt with severely.


Seeing a rough, strong bounty hunter like STUART McGee rescue a baby still in diapers lets readers know he has a kind heart, protects those in need, and accepts responsibility. Readers learn a lot watching a would-be con-man Nate Bartholomew with three young orphans, one of whom is ill and another is mute, in award winning THE MOST UNSUITABLE HUSBAND. Sometimes it’s humorous, other times frightening.

Henry Cameron

Several books in my current historical western romance series, Texas Hill Country Mail Order Brides, include children. In Book One, rancher GENTRY McRae and Heidi don’t hesitate to help three frightened children. Book Two has Sheriff JESSE Cameron and Rosalin adopting two boys, one at a time. In Book Five, KEITH Martin, and Elliana take in three unusual siblings, thanks to Elliana’s quick action.



Why are they unusal? Most of the children in my books are attractive. Not so at first glance in Keith and Elliana’s story. The three children’s red hair has been chopped in tufts that stick out in all directions. Their faces are so freckled there is hardly any white skin showing. But they are not doomed.

I have a beautiful, strawberry blonde cousin who is kind and loving. She is twelve years older than me, and I have always admired her character and her lovely complexion. Imagine my surprise when I saw a picture of her from junior high. Her face was covered in freckles. I don’t mean the cute, tiny freckles sprinkled across her nose. Nope, these were huge ones melded together. Now, please don’t think I am judgemental and shallow. She was pretty with freckles, but she was self-conscious. Apparently some people make fun of those who have them, especially girls.

My cousin grew up on a West Texas cotton farm where she helped “chop cotton,” as we called hoeing weeds in the fields, and “pull bolls,” which is harvesting the cotton in back-breaking work. Fortunately for farmers, that is now done mostly by harvesting machines. Obviously, she was in the sun a lot. I wish I had that picture of her in junior high to show you how lovely she appeared even with large freckles.

What happened to her freckles? My uncle kept adding acreage to his farm and it was too large for the family to handle. My uncle’s fortunes increased, and he was able to hire people to harvest his cotton. At the same time, their improved financial situation allowed my aunt to purchase creams that lightened spots on skin. I suppose not spending long days working in the sun helped fade the freckles, too.

When Elliana and Keith brought home the children, Elliana immediately acquired creams to fade their freckles and she protected them from too much sun. Elliana also shaped the girls’ scarecrow hair while Keith took the boy to the barber. As you can imagine, going from living with a terrible stepfather to being in a safe, loving home made a huge difference in their sense of well being. To me, the immediacy and ease with which Elliana and Keith welcomed three children into their home demonstrated their compassion and kindness.

I hope you’ll read and enjoy y books. I love to write for you.

Thanks for stopping by. Stay safe and keep reading.


Photo credit: Pexels.com 

No comments: