Friday, November 11, 2011

DIANA COSBY'S GIFT OF THANKS

Diana Cosby
Please welcome my friend, Diana Cosby, author of historical romances set in Scotland. Diana is an amazing person who gives back in both time and money, and in large ways and small. She does everything from taking a neighbor a pie to organizing people for a Habitat For Humanity site. Last year, she originated a Food Bank Drive. This year, her goal is to make this an Annual International Food Drive. And her books are selling like crazy. HIS WOMAN and HIS CONQUEST are listed in the, ‘Best Historical Romance Novels,” on Best Romance Novels Today! HIS CONQUEST remained on Amazon's Bestsellers in Historical Romances list for 145 days strait! Diana appeared in the April 17th issue of Woman's Day Magazine in a story about "Achieving Your Dreams Over 40!" She was honored by the United States division of the Scottish National Trust for her donations to that organization. Now, she's looking forward to her 2012 booksigning at a Scottish castle. Well, you get the idea that she's a terrific writer as well as a terrific person. Here’s Diana to explain her philosophy, a recipe, and information about the food drive.


                  A GIFT OF THANKS
              THIS HOLIDAY SEASON


Gifts come in many shapes and sizes, but I believe the most precious ones are those delivered from the heart. It's so easy to get caught up in the mayhem of life, particularly during the hustle and bustle of the Holidays, but every day, there are people amidst the chaos who help you, who take time out of their busy lives to make a difference in yours. This year, why not return that gift?


Diana, 3rd from left with five
Texas writers she recruited for
Habitat for Humanity last year
This holiday season, as wrapped gifts exchange hands, I ask you to pause, reflect on those who’ve truly made a difference in your life, and if possible, find a special way to say thank you. This can be a simple gesture—something as simple as a greeting card, a bouquet of flowers, or a heartfelt poem. Maybe you bake someone their favorite cookies? Or, you present them a coupon book filled with everyday chores they can tear out and give you to do on those trying days when they really need a helping hand. The absolute best gift you can offer another person is one given from the heart; and when special-delivered, without any strings attached, it touches their own.


This Christmas, I’m making gift baskets filled with my favorite things, most homemade, a few being macadamia-butterscotch chip cookies, shortbread, Vermont maple syrup, orange-lemon-maple syrup marmalade and more. With each one, I'm sharing a part of myself with the other person.


My gift to you is one of my favorite recipes, Peppermint Ice-Cream Pie!



          Peppermint Pie



Oreo pie shell
½ gallon peppermint ice cream
Coolwhip
Chocolate fudge ice-cream topping
Small candy canes crushed [*Three crushed per pie]
Place 1 quart of softened peppermint ice cream [1/2 tub] into Oreo pie shell and smooth out flat. Place a ½ inch or slightly more thick layer of cool whip. Pour on a layer of chocolate fudge ice cream topping. Sprinkle top of fudge with crushed candy canes. Put plastic top on and freeze.


*I usually make this a couple of days in advance and leave it on a flat shelf in the freezer.

**This takes less than 5 minutes to make. Amazingly, each of the ingredients balances the other. It’s wonderful. (And I’m not even a peppermint lover. :)

Let me share a couple of reviews for my latest release, HIS DESTINY, before I tell you about the Annual International Food Bank Drive:

Latest Release
5 STAR REVIEW
"Every once in a while a story comes along that makes me run the full gamut of emotions. HIS DESTINY by Diana Cosby is one of them. This amazing story is the fourth in the MacGruder series and yes I will say it, my favorite. It is a story of danger, deception and redemption all wound into one turbulent ride." - Kimberly, Book Obsessed Chicks
-For the complete review:
http://book-obsessed-chicks.blogspot.com/2011/10/his-destiny-by-diana-cosby.html?spref=fb


4 1/2 BOOK REVIEW
"HIS DESTINY is a journey back in time that enchants with an awesome love story of two wounded hearts and souls that find redemption and love together. Good reading!" - Camellia, Long And Short Reviews
-For the complete review:
http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.com/2011/10/his-destiny-by-diana-cosby.html


And now, to the main purpose for appearing on Caroline's blog today and a way you can give an easy, inexpensive gift of thanks on your own:

  INTERNATIONAL FOOD BANK DRIVEThe holidays are an emotion-filled time where it seems there are not enough hours in each day to fit everything in, not to mention dealing with the struggling economy. But, in this time of financial challenges, I ask each of you to please consider one more stop on your crazy to do list, that of making a donation to a local food bank. Your donation can be a dollar, a can of corn, whatever you can give. Anything you offer to those with nothing is a gift they didn't have.


Donate to your
local food bank
Last year, in addition to my personal donation to my local food bank, I decided to start a Food Bank Challenge. Except, it kind of wonderfully got out of hand. Amazingly, once I posted The Food Bank Challenge on my Facebook page and my Facebook fan page, people from across the U.S. began donating to their local food banks. Then, I read posts of donations from Canada. Holy cow, the Food Bank Challenge went international! And you know what, this is truly a blessing. In this venture, we all win. Gifts from the heart do that, they fill you, remind you there is good in the world, and that you can make a positive and profound difference in others' lives.


How it works: When you donate to a local food bank, post on my Facebook page or Facebook Fan page, (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diana-Cosby-Romance-Author/150109024636?ref=ts), beneath the daily International Food Bank Challenge post or, for this blog only, your donation along with your name and contact information as a comment, then I'll add your name in a drawing. On 6 December I will use www.random.org to draw from all of the names received. The winner will receive an autographed set of the MacGruder brother series to date; HIS CAPTIVE, HIS WOMAN, HIS CONQUEST, and HIS DESTINY. I will sign the set, and then send them priority to you or whoever you want to make them a personal holiday present!


2nd Annual International Food Bank Food Drive schedule:


November:
-11th Blog: Making A Positive Difference In Others’ Lives
http://carolineclemmons.blogspot.com/

-15th: Interview at USA Today's Romance Blog, Happy Ever After.
http://books.usatoday.com/happyeverafter/index


-21st: FIRST for women's magazine interview about how I started the Annual International Food Bank Food Drive. The article is scheduled to hit newsstands on 11/21/11 and run until 12/12/11.

December:
-6th: The winner’s name is drawn using www.random.org, and they are notified.


*If you haven’t signed up for my Facebook Fan page, please sign up today!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diana-Cosby-Romance-Author/150109024636?ref=ts


2012 International Food Bank Challenge – Goal: 1000 donations.

I sincerely wish everyone health, friendship and happiness this holiday season. As I mentioned above, this is a time when the best gift of all is the gift of yourself—that one-of-kind present that can make a difference in the life of another. And I wish each of you a wonderful holiday season filled with friends as laughter. May your every dream come true!

What ideas can you think of to share thanks with others? Remember—the more original and inventive, the more fun! :) I can't wait to hear your ideas!
 Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
International Best-Selling Author of the MacGruder Brothers series set in Scotland
Highland vampire anthology: Title/Release date TBA
http://www.dianacosby.com/
 
Diana, I'm thankful you're with us this weekend and motivating us to share something of ourselves to those less fortunate.

20 comments:

Diana Cosby said...

Caroline,
My sincere thanks for having me on today as well as the humbling introduction. Your an amazing person and your friendship is truly a blessing.
As we prepare for the holidays, I believe it's important to take a moment to thank those who truly matter. Life's too shore not to celebrate the blessings of friends who touch our lives.
My deepest thanks as well for bringing up Habitat For Humanity, which is an amazing charity. When you give a deserving family a home, one which they've helped to build, it's more than wood and concrete, but a foundation of hope, one blessed by the community that allows them to begin to dream. May your holidays be filled with blessings. *Hugs*
Love you!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Hales said...

What a fantastic blog. We help with the local food drive every year. This year we're helping with toys for tots local and we'll be donating to Romance Junkies calling for their small town as well. Each year we go through blankets as well. It was amazing to see how many in great shape comforters we had and sheets. My girls finally had made the switch to young adult themes and out of disney and others lol. A week ago we gave seven great coats to Burlington Coat Store for project warmth. We may not be rich but my kids are learning that giving doesn't have to involve money (well aside from shopping for toys for tots) and hope to get them to a shelter this year to help with food serving.

Jeanmarie Hamilton said...

Diana and Carolyn,
Enjoyed your post so much. The pie is the kind I love to make, simple. :-)
Love your stories, Diana, and can't wait for the next one. The vampire anthology.

One thing to be thankful for is that so many of the people in our country and around the world are so generous. You're doing wonders, Diana.
*Hugs*

Diana Cosby said...

Hales said: What a fantastic blog.

~Good morning, Mahalia. My sincere thanks for stopping by.

We help with the local food drive every year. This year we're helping with toys for tots local and we'll be donating to Romance Junkies calling for their small town as well. Each year we go through blankets as well. It was amazing to see how many in great shape comforters we had and sheets. My girls finally had made the switch to young adult themes and out of disney and others lol. A week ago we gave seven great coats to Burlington Coat Store for project warmth.

~How fabulous. My sincere thanks for making such a positive difference to so many lives. I’ve added your name to the International Food Bank Food Drive list.

We may not be rich but my kids are learning that giving doesn't have to involve money (well aside from shopping for toys for tots) and hope to get them to a shelter this year to help with food serving.

~I’m so with you on the importance of teaching our children to give from their hearts. It’s so humbling, a blessing to help others. Take care, enjoy your holiday season, and I wish you the very best.
God bless.

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Diana Cosby said...

Jeanmarie Hamilton said:

Diana and Carolyn, Enjoyed your post so much.

~Hi Jeanmarie, my sincere thanks for stopping by. Thank you, Carolyn did a wonderful job setting up the blog as her kind words.

The pie is the kind I love to make, simple. :-)

~I hope you enjoy. A ½ gallon of ice cream makes 2 pies. :)

Love your stories, Diana, and can't wait for the next one. The vampire anthology.

~Thank you so much, I love what I do and am always humbled when others enjoy my writing as well. Congratulations on the release of, “Guardian of His Soul!”

One thing to be thankful for is that so many of the people in our country and around the world are so generous. You're doing wonders, Diana.

~It’s heartwarming to see so much giving when I know that so many struggle daily. *Hugs* Have a wonderful holiday season, and I wish you the very best.
Love you!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Cindy Procter-King said...

Diana, you are a remarkable person.

Our local food bank drive should be starting soon. We always contribute. I've done the Santas Anonymous thing, as well, when my kids were little. Every year we'd go through their toys and donate sometimes toys in fantastic shape that just weren't getting used - like a Kinex set that built a ferris wheel.

It's the season to think of others, and you're a prime example of that.

Hugs
Cnidy

Diana Cosby said...

Cindy Procter-King said: Our local food bank drive should be starting soon.

~Cindy, thank you so much for stopping by, I know you’re crazy busy and appreciate your hello! Yes, many food banks are pushing their drives now with cool weather as the holidays upon us. The continuing struggles of the economy make raising food donations a greater challenge.

We always contribute. I've done the Santas Anonymous thing, as well, when my kids were little. Every year we'd go through their toys and donate sometimes toys in fantastic shape that just weren't getting used - like a Kinex set that built a ferris wheel.

~That’s fabulous. I always had my kids each select and buy a gift for the angel tree each year. Each person’s kindness truly makes a difference to those without. One never knows what life will throw them.

It's the season to think of others, and you're a prime example of that.

~As are you my friend. *Hugs* Have a wonderful holiday season, and I wish you the very best.
Love you!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Diana Cosby said...

Caroline,
I hope you had a wonderful Veteran's Day, and that your daughter is doing great. I so appreciate your having me on your blog today to celebrate this special time of year where we remember those who touch our lives.
If anyone posts after today, I'll definitely reply. :) Take care and may your holiday season be filled with blessings. *Hugs*
Love you!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Mary J. Forbes said...

Diana, I love that you do this every year. In my town, I always give to the "Basics For Babies" foundation, which helps single moms and parents in need. This year I'm donating some warm onesies as well as food. :)

Diana Cosby said...

Mary J. Forbes said: Diana, I love that you do this every year.

~Hi Mary, thank you so much for stopping by and saying hi. It's humbling if anything I can do helps our food banks.

In my town, I always give to the "Basics For Babies" foundation, which helps single moms and parents in need. This year I'm donating some warm onesies as well as food. :)

~Ahhh, that's fantastic! I know everything will be sincerely appreciated. I've added your name to the Food Drive list! I hope you have a super weekend and a fabulous holiday season!
*Hugs* Love you!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Nice to get to know you, Diana. I love giving and find it makes me feel good to do it. In memory of our daughter who died nine years ago, I have made and given away 36 quilts, most of them baby quilts. Some of them have been book cover quilts friends have asked to gift to special people. At Christmas time, I've baked a very special fruitcake recipe and we give them to people in the community and friends we lean on all year as gifts. It's amazing the joy one gets when you see that wide smile and, if you are extra lucky, a hug.

Congrats on your efforts. Wishing you a successful year with them.

Diana Cosby said...

Paisley Kirkpatrick said: Nice to get to know you, Diana.

~Hi Paisley, my sincere thanks for stopping by, and it's nice to 'meet' you. By the way, love your name. :)

I love giving and find it makes me feel good to do it.

~Giving back, helping others, there's nothing so humbling as to help make a positive difference in others lives.

In memory of our daughter who died nine years ago, I have made and given away 36 quilts, most of them baby quilts. Some of them have been book cover quilts friends have asked to gift to special people.

~My sympathy at the loss of your daughter. *Hugs* What an amazing gift you give others, each sewn in loving memory. I know each is sincerely appreciated. *Hugs*

At Christmas time, I've baked a very special fruitcake recipe and we give them to people in the community and friends we lean on all year as gifts.

~How wonderful. I'm sure your personal donations are well-enjoyed. :) They sound yummy!

It's amazing the joy one gets when you see that wide smile and, if you are extra lucky, a hug.

~It is, it truly touches your heart.

Congrats on your efforts. Wishing you a successful year with them.

~My sincere thanks for your kind comments, and another thanks for all you do to help others. I've added your name to the food drive list. Take care, enjoy your holidays, and may they be filled with blessings.
Sincerely,

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Diana Cosby said...

Paisley,
I don't have your contact info in case your name is drawn for the food donation contest. When you get a moment, will you please e me at diana@dianacosby.com
Take care and have a super day!
Diana

Elaine Stock said...

Diana, you have a very generous heart. I thank God that you reach out to bless so many who need help. Through my church I try to always give to the weekly food drive.

Diana Cosby said...

Elaine Stock said: Diana, you have a very generous heart. I thank God that you reach out to bless so many who need help. Through my church I try to always give to the weekly food drive.

~Hi Elaine, my sincere thanks for stopping by as your donation. Each helps! I've added your name to the list. We're up to 25 donations!
Hope this finds you doing well, and may your holidays be filled with blessings! *Hugs*
Love you!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Kellie Kamryn said...

Great post! Every year we help with the food drive in our area and give clothes as well.

Diana Cosby said...

Kellie Kamryn said: Great post! Every year we help with the food drive in our area and give clothes as well.

~Hi Kellie, my sincere thanks for stopping by, and another huge thanks for all of your help with raising food and clothes for those who need them. I've added your name to the food donation list. :) Take care and may your holidays be filled with friendship and laughter!
Sincerely,

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

katsrus said...

What a wonderful heart you have. I try to give food to the food banks when I can. And if a friend doesn't have much for the holidays I try to make up a package and send it to them just to know someone cares about them.
Sue B

Diana Cosby said...

katsrus said: What a wonderful heart you have. I try to give food to the food banks when I can. And if a friend doesn't have much for the holidays I try to make up a package and send it to them just to know someone cares about them.

~Hi Sue, thank you so much for stopping by and to donating to the food bank as well as your extra special gift to your friend. I know they're deeply moved by your kindness. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season filled with friendship, laughter and blessings. *Hugs*
Sincerely,

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com

Diana Cosby said...

Sue, I forgot to add that I've put your name on the Food Drive list! ^5 :) Enjoy your day!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN Ret.
www.dianacosby.com