Wednesday, November 02, 2011

WHAT'S ON YOUR BUCKET LIST?


Movie "Bucket List"
The movie “Bucket List” starring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson, started my family talking about our personal bucket lists. Not that any of ours is elaborate or amazing, but I’ll wager most people have a list of specific events to attend or places they want to visit before they die...or kick the bucket. Here are some of mine in no particular order:

1. Go ziplining somewhere--doesn’t really matter where as long as there aren’t a lot of snakes. I think I might prefer one place I saw advertised in Colorado that caters to families. If a ten-year-old kid can manage, I should be able to also. And the hike to the platform is only ten minutes. Zipping along in a secure harness looks like fun. I’d certainly love to try it.


2. Ride a hot air balloon for a short period. This is more daring if you realize heights are not my friends. I’ve wanted to do this since I saw the movie “Around The World In 80 Days.” That length of time does NOT appeal to me, but a half-hour would be nice.


3. Hero and I want to go on a rafting trip. I’d be sure to wear my life vest, because in water I sink like a stone. I think I'd like a one-day trip in Colorado. The rafting company furnishes a wet suit and a life vest. The screams probably would be furnished by me, but I don't think so. I think a small does of rafting would be fun.


5. See the New England trees changing color. Since I’ve never been to New England and want to go there, fall would be the ideal time. I've heard the colors are more vivid there than in North Central Texas.

6. Hero and I want to take a cruise ship/tour of Alaska, maybe in May before mosquito season gets gross. We’d prefer one of the smaller ships where lectures are presented each evening about the history of the area on the next day’s visit. Each of us is a history, anthropology, and archealogy fan.

7. Hero and I also want to travel through the Pacific Northwest. He’s been before, but I haven’t. I'd especially like to travel from Portland, Oregon to Seattle, Washington.  I love rainy days, so I always thought I'd enjoy living in that area.

 8. Ride a Segway. Even some metropolitan policemen use them now...I think it may have been in Los Angeles, but I’m not certain. Looks like fun, doesn’t it?  I first saw them on Good Morning America when they were newly introduced. Hero thinks I'd fall, but I think I could whiz right along. Probably the balance is similar to riding a bicycle, right? Before my dad let me ride my new bike, he made me balance on it while standing still so I'd get the hang of body leverage. Smart man, my dad.

9. Drive a Vespa--preferably a pink or aqua one. Those cute little scooters have always fascinated me. Darling Daughter Two and I were all set to rent one in Fort Worth until we learned they require a motorcycle license. What? We each still want to drive one, even if we only go around the block.


Staying in this
cottage in Adare
would be lovely.
 10. After our last trip to Ireland and the UK, Hero and I decided we’d like to rent a cottage there for a month or so and use it as a base to travel those countries. With excellent public transport, we wouldn’t even have to rent a car. (We probably would, though, for hard-to-reach sites.)


There are more on my list, but these are the top ten.

What’s on your bucket list? Have you accomplished any of them?

2 comments:

Stephanie Suesan Smith, Ph.D. said...

I want to go to Ireland and to Scotland. I would also like to go to Japan and China, and parts of India.

Those Vespas are dangerous. I know someone who was riding one and hit a curb. She is now in a wheelchair.

Of course, what's a bucket list without some things that may cause you to kick the bucket?

Anna Jeffrey said...

I do not have a bucket list. I wonder what that says about me. :-/