Wednesday, January 02, 2019

A SNEAK PEEK AT GARNET!


What a wonderful year 2019 will be! I believe in the power of positive thinking. There are so many things in my life for which I’m grateful—my husband Hero, our daughters, our home, the freedom to write my stories, and so much more. With all these treasures, the year promises to go well.

Today, I want to give you a sneak peek at my upcoming January 16 release, GARNET, one of the Widows of Wildcat Ridge Series. I believe this will be the ninth book in that series with more great reads to come. If you’ve been keeping up, you know we’re releasing a book every two weeks through May. Each book is titled by the heroine’s first name.



Charlene Raddon, who conceived the series, created all the covers. In my opinion, she has done a fabulous job. I love the way the woman’s head shot is merged into the Utah landscape.

Garnet is one of the women widowed by the mine explosions. She has in her charge her niece and nephew who were orphaned by the disaster. Now she is stretched thin operating the café alone while caring for two children and grieving for all the friends and kin who died. As if that wasn’t enough, the previous night she had a prowler in her rooms over her Crystal Café:

Here’s an excerpt from GARNET:

A loud rap at the back door startled her. She kept the curtains closed unless they were serving food and she couldn’t see who had knocked.

Joey grabbed his stick. “Don’t answer it. Might be the robber there.”

She wiped her hands on her apron. “Or a friend who needs something.” Joey didn’t know the Colt was in her apron pocket. After taking a deep, bracing breath, she opened the door.

The dirtiest man she’d ever seen stood there with his arm braced on the door frame. His beard was as dirty as his clothes. Fresh cuts showed through the mud on his face. He was tall and broad-shouldered but looked as if he could barely stand.

“Ma’am, my name is Adam Bennett. Please don’t be put off by my appearance. I was robbed up the mountain a ways and lost all my gear. I’m mighty hungry. If you need anything done, I’d work for a meal.”

Joey was by her side. “He isn’t the one from last night.” All the same, her nephew kept his pick handle in his hand.

“We’re the Chandlers. Come in and sit down. Wait, wash your hands and face at the sink first. You can’t handle food while you’re that filthy.”

While the man washed his hands, she filled a plate from leftovers and poured a cup of coffee. “Joey, please get my medicine box from upstairs.”

He leaned close. “I don’t think I should leave you alone while he’s here.”

Joey took being man of the family seriously. “Oh, all right. Hyacinth, would you get the medicine box for me?”

“How come he doesn’t have to and I do?” Usually sweet, Hyacinth was a bit spoiled and definitely jealous of her brother.”

“Because Mr. Bennett is injured and needs our help. Please hurry.”

Her niece stomped up the stairs while muttering under her breath, her golden curls bouncing with each step.

When Garnet glanced at the man, she saw he’d wolfed down his food. “I’ll get you more. How long since you’ve eaten?”

“Not sure how long I was in and out of consciousness up there. They attacked me late morning on Saturday. What day is this?”

“Monday. No wonder you’re hungry.” She set another plate of food in front of him and refilled his cup.




Although the book won’t be released until January 16, it is already available for preorder. I love that feature, don’t you? On the day of release, the book magically pops up on my Kindle. No Abracadabra necessary.

Universal buy link for ALL Amazon stores: http://getbook.at/GarnetWOWR

No comments: