Friday, June 16, 2023

MY IRISH LOVE AFFAIR

By Caroline Clemmons

The title might be slightly misleading. Ha. Actually, Hero and I love Ireland, but the only affair I had there is with Hero. Although, I admit I fell in love with Ireland even before I fell in love with Hero. 

When I was a child, I loved the movies in which Barry Fitzgerald appeared. His Irish accent fascinated me (and still does). Recently, Hero and I re-watched The Quiet Man for the umpteenth time. We’ve seen it so many times we know most of the dialogue. I never tire of it, even though Ireland has changed since the film was made in 1952.

Barry Fitzgerald


When Hero and I were on our first tour of Ireland, we ate lunch at the inn where Maureen O’Hara stayed when filming The Quiet Man. She is one of my favorite actresses, plus I always wanted to look like her when she was young. We loved that tour that only increased my love of Ireland. Hero says he had to drag me onto the plane home. I did hate to leave but I deny that my heels left scuff marks in the air terminal as he dragged me to the plane. Several years later, we took a second tour for a longer time. We had planned to go back and rent a cottage for a month. Alas, the best of plans go awry. Between Hero’s Parkinson’s and my “parting gifts” from Covid, we won’t be able to rent that cottage. We have wonderful, wonderful memories of all our travels, though.

Maureen O'Hara

Several of the heroines in books I’ve written are Irish. The first was Cenora Rose O’Neill in THE TEXAN’S IRISH BRIDE, which is a sensual historial western romance. I did so much research for that book, but I loved it. Other Irish heroines in sweet, clean historical western romances are Gormlaith (pronounced Gorm lee and is Gaelic for Barbara) McGowan in THE RANCHER AND THE SHEPHERDESS and Betsie Galloway in MONK’S BRIDE. The hero is Irish in O’NEILL'S TEXAS BRIDE.



Maeve Kelly is my latest Irish heroine in LEVI AND THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE. Unlike most Irish women her age, Maeve is well educated because her uncle—a retired university professor—taught her and others. As his star pupil, he told her  he would send her to attend the university in Heidelberg where he had taught. Unfortunately, her uncle's death derailed that dream.


Maeve Kelly


Her father died about this time, and her mother developed cancer. A devoted daughter, Maeve nursed her mother until the lovely woman passed. Maeve is not afraid of hard work. During this time, she took care of the garden and the household chores. and the sheep. A cousin helped with the sheep. When her mother passed, Maeve sold everything she could and traveled to New York City to stay with her sister, Aine Sullivan. Maeve and Aine were best friends and Aine encouraged Maeve to come to stay with them. However, Aine and her husband and two children live in a tenement in a two room flat. In spite of so many signs that say "No Irish Need Apply," Maeve knows she has to do something different to accomplish her dreams of a family.

Maeve is determined to marry a good man. Encouraged by a coworker, she answers an advertisement for a mail order bride. When she gets to Harrigan Springs, Texas, she refuses to marry the man who has sent for her—as well she should. He’s a scoundrel but he insists she either comes with him or repay him for her fare. She has no money.. Oh, but that leads her to her story...

If you haven’t read LEVI AND THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE, I hope you’ll get a copy of this sweet, clean historical western romance and learn the rest of Maeve’s story. The link to purchase the book from Amazon is below. Of course, it’s free in Kindle Unlimited.

https://www.amazon.com/Order-Bride-Texas-Country-Brides-ebook/dp/B0BZDT6Q1J/



Stay safe and keep reading!

No comments: