Friday, July 31, 2015

ROMANCE NOVEL HEAT LEVELS

I write all heat level except erotica. I think whether or not the couple has sex depends on the characters and their situation but some readers don’t understand the difference in the ratings. Please let me explain the way I see these ratings.


 Sweet – This involves no touching below the neck except the arms and hands. I have written sweet novels over the years. More of them later than earlier. A great author to read for sweet romance novels is Debra Holland and her Montana Sky series and Mail Order Brides of the West series. Another, if you like humor, is Kirsten Osbourne. My sweet novels are O’NEILL’S TEXAS BRIDE, WINTER BRIDE, STONE MOUNTAIN CHRISTMAS (novella), TABITHA’S JOURNEY (novella), LONG WAY HOME (novella), STONE MOUNTAIN REUNION (a short story) and the contemporaries HOME SWEET TEXAS HOME and mysteries DEATH IN THE GARDEN and ALMOST HOME. One of my favorite sweet with a hard edge series is the 1947 serial WOMEN OF COURAGE: LOVE RELEASED by Geri Foster. This is superb writing that keeps me hooked on every line. I feel as if I know these characters personally.



Sensual – Many of my novels fall into this category. There’s consummated sex but it’s not of the super-steamy variety. Those include GABE KINCAID, HIGH STAKES BRIDE, SAVE YOUR HEART FOR ME (novella), THE MOST UNSUITABLE HUSBAND, OUT OF THE BLUE (time travel), MAIL ORDER PROMISE (in the duet MAIL-ORDER TANGLE with Jacquie Rogers) and the contemporary BE MY GUEST. In fact, some of sex scenes are between a hero and heroine who are married. Those would be BRAZOS BRIDE (now free), THE TEXAN’S IRISH BRIDE (now free), THE MOST UNSUITABLE COURTSHIP, BLUEBONNET BRIDE, McCLINTOCK’S RELUCTANT BRIDE, and THE MOST UNSUITABLE WIFE. If you like sensual novels, you’ll enjoy reading books by Cynthia Woolf, Callie Hutton, Jacquie Rogers, and Sylvia McDaniel.

Steamy – Involves more graphic sexual terms and longer sex scenes. I’m not sure I’ve written any novels in the steamy category, but if I have it’s the contemporary SNOWFIRES.  Someone who does steamy extremely well is Anna Jeffrey. Her THE TYCOON and THE CATTLEMAN will leave you breathless. I can hardly wait until she releases the third in the Sons of Texas series, THE HORSEMAN. In the meantime, you can preorder her super steamy DESIRED for only 99 cents.



Erotica --  Graphic and may include BDSM. One I’ve read that was well-written was by Sylvia Day. Other well known authors are E. L. James and Desiree Holt. I haven’t written anything in this genre.  



Every reader has specific expectations from a novel. Whatever you want from your time spent reading, there’s a romance novel waiting to take you on an exciting adventure with a happily ever after ending.

No comments: