Monday, June 20, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH TENA STETLER

Author Tena Stetler has agreed to give an interview so readers can get to know her better.

Where did you grow up? Siblings? Locale? Were you considered a “bookworm” or a jock?  Married, single?  

I grew up in Colorado, an only child.  Afraid I was considered a wild child, with an overactive imagination.  I married the love of my life, many, many moons ago.

Who are your favorite authors and favorite genres?

I love Molly Harper. She writes werewolf and vampires with a snarky humor.  At least that’s what I call it.

 I enjoy Nora Roberts paranormal stories and loved The Witness.  I thought it was something different for her.

Nancy Atherton.  She writes the Aunt Dimity series, 20 books and counting.  I have them all.

Tom Clancy

I read all different genres. All kinds of Romance, Mystery, Science Fiction, Fantasy, and a few thrillers that don’t give me nightmares.  LOL


What’s your favorite way to relax and recharge?  

Come warm weather, this year it was mid May.  We get out the fifth wheel trailer and go camping in various state and national parks.  Ok, sometimes we even visit friends.  We’ve traveled over three-quarters of the US with our dog, Mystic, parrot, Taco and box turtle, Sammie.  Hobbies? Used to fly remote controlled helicopters.  Crashing them gets expensive.

Do you have a favorite quote that sums up how you feel about life?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW what a ride!"

How long have you been writing?

Most of my life.  I penned my first vampire romance as a tween. I expressed my overactive imagination in stories growing up, at least for the most part.  When I was downsized, again, this time from a job after 14 years, my husband suggested I polish and try to publish some of my novels. Nine months later, The Wild Rose Press contracted A Demon’s Witch, released September 2015, and the rest is exciting history. 

Where do you prefer to write?
In my office, with my parrot in an adjoining room and our dog, running in and out making sure I don’t sneak away.  She used to be a latchkey puppy when I worked fulltime, but since I’m home, she does her darnest to keep track of me every minute. It’s a tough job.

  Do you need quiet, music, solitude?

I like quiet when I’m writing, sometimes music when I’m editing.   PC or laptop? Both.  When the weather is too nice to be inside, I transfer my work to a thumb drive and take my laptop out in the sunroom or front porch.  Nothing better than writing while listening to the birds outside and keeping my parrot company and out of trouble, while she’s in the sunroom.  I like being mobile.

Are you a plotter or a panzer?  

Definitely at panzer.  My books are character driven.  In fact my new release, A Witch’s Journey, is a prime example of my hero high jacking the plot and setting without permission.

Do you use real events or persons in your stories or as an inspiration for stories?

Even though, I write paranormal romance, some of my characters are based on real events, and persons, then I add a magical twist.  Shhhhh… don’t tell anyone.  As a matter of fact, I had to laugh the other day when I went out with friends to a pizza place.  A friend that works there is aware, I’m writer.  When another girl got my order wrong and it had to be redone, my friend gave her a hard time and said. “Better watch out, she’ll put you in one of her books.”  The girl’s face turned red and she stared at me. “You wouldn’t really do that?”  I just couldn’t help myself, I said.  “You never know.” I took my pizza and giggled all the way to my seat at the girl’s look of astonishment.    

Do you set daily writing goals? Word count? Number of chapters? Do you get a chance to write every day? 

Yes, I write every day. In between laundry, cleaning house, yelling at the dog to stop barking at the squirrel, cooking meals and trying to keep the parrot from wreaking havoc while’s she’s outside her cage.  Some days are better than others, but I try to at least get 2500 words written. They don’t always make it into the book, but most do. 

What do you hope your writing brings to readers?

For me crafting a romance is all about RESPECT, TRUST and LOVE. Only most of my characters are of the paranormal persuasion. I want to create a memorable love story with spice and adventure.  Characters that will grab hold of your heart and hang on long after you’ve read the last word and closed the book with a satisfied sigh.

What long-term plans do you have for your career?

As with most writers, I’ve love my books to make #1 on the New York Best Sellers List.  Maybe a movie or two.  I know those are lofty goals, but hey, if you don’t try, you’ll never succeed. Kinda like if you don’t ask, the answer is always no … but different.

Would you like to tell us what you’re working on now? 

Of course. I love talking about my books.  I’m working on the second book in A Demon’s Witch series.  After reading the first one, A Demon’s Witch, I’ve had several people want to know what happened to Tristian, the assassin to the Demon Overlord of the Western Hemephere.  So hopefully in 2017, they’ll find out.   He wasn’t really a bad guy, just misunderstood.  There are two other books in the series as well.  

What advice would you give to unpublished authors?

Never give up.  Write what you love.  Learn about your craft at workshops, conferences and other writers.

Share a fun fact readers wouldn’t know about you

I used to teach roller skating and competed in dance.

Share something about you that would surprise or shock readers.

I used to be a DeeJay at a popular rock and roll radio station.

Is your book a series?  

A WITCH’S JOURNEY has a sequel due out over the holidays 2016.  I think that is the end, but I’m not sure.  Could be more.

Can you give readers a blurb about A WITCH'S JOURNEY?

Of course, I didn’t think you’d ever ask.
 
Pepper McKay comes from a long line of powerful witches. Unfortunately, magic brings her nothing but trouble. She learned the love of wildlife rescue and rehab from her Aunt Ashling. After graduating from college, Pepper works for Salem Wildlife Sanctuary and lives from paycheck to paycheck until she inherits the McKay property in Lobster Cove.  With the family land and resources, she dares to dream of starting her own wildlife rescue and rehabilitation center.
Lathen Quartz, a former Navy SEAL turned handyman maintains the enchanted McKay property for the estate. But someone is trying to steal the McKay magic. Lathen offers to help Pepper achieve her life-long dream of building a wildlife center. During the long hours spent together on the project, their mutual attraction can’t be denied.  But each harbors a deep, dark secret.  Will they overcome their demons and give love a chance?



How about an excerpt from A WITCH’S JOURNEY?

Sure, this is when she just arrived on the McKay Property:

Pepper hopped out of the truck and took a deep breath. The ocean breeze brought a mixed scent of brine, sand, sun and kelp. Seabirds whistled and screeched through the air diving into the white crested waves, proudly emerging with dinner. Turning her attention to the land, she noticed beyond the barn, the pond was still there, even a bit bigger than she remembered. Caught up in the smells, sights, and sounds, she didn't hear someone approach.
"Ms. McKay?"
"Sssshit," she yelped and whirled around to see a muscular man, well over six feet, with surfer blond hair nearly to his shoulders, tousled by the ocean breeze. Rounding the corner of the cabin, he waved at her as he approached walking with a slight limp. Deeply tanned, he appeared to spend a lot of time outdoors.
"I'm Lathen Quartz. Glad you made it before dark. The road up here can be treacherous after dark if you don't know where you're going.  I finished up the enclosed aviary and was getting ready to leave. But now that you're here, I'd be happy to show you around. Help you get settled."
"Pepper McKay, call me Pepper." Extending her hand towards him, she met his gaze. His large aquamarine eyes were mesmerizing, set above the high cheekbones, full lips and a butterscotch five o'clock shadow. She gave her head a shake. "Wait. You built an aviary?"
He shook her hand and smiled, shoving his hands in the pockets of his jeans and rocking back on his heels.

Where can readers find your books?






How can readers learn more about you?

The Wild Rose Press: http://catalog.thewildrosepress.com/1264_tena-stetler
Pinterest:  https://www.pinterest.com/tenastetler/

Is there anything else you’d like readers to know about you?


I love to visit with readers and other authors, so look me up and we’ll chat!


Masquerade Tours

8 comments:

Tena Stetler said...

Caroline, thanks for having me today. I really appreciate it!

Lori Sizemore said...

What a thorough interview! Tena, I'm not surprised that you were a rock DeeJay or taught dance--you seem like someone who takes life by the horns.

Good luck with your writing!

Charlotteoshayauthor.com said...

Interesting interview Tena!

Tena Stetler said...

I tried a lot of things enjoyed each until it was time to move on but finally the words and stories wouldn't wait any longer.

Thanks for stoping by.. I really appreciate it. Have a productive week.

Tena Stetler said...

Thanks for stopping by Charlotte. You're a gem. And I appreciate your time.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Thanks for sharing with readers, Tena. Best wishes for success in the future.

Mary Morgan said...

Great interview! I would love to travel to the National Parks. Sounds like so much fun, Tena. All the best with your new release, too. :)

Hebby Roman said...

Wow!!! Learned a lot about you today, Tena. Now I know how to tease you when you're on the TWRP chat. LOL Loved your cover, too. Mmmmm...hmmmm.