Friday, July 13, 2018

HOW SUPERSTITIOUS ARE YOU?


How superstitious are you? Does Friday the 13th leave you quaking in your shoes? 

I’m convinced even the most hardened of us have some superstitions. For instance, how many of use the expression “knock on wood” when we mention something good? That’s handed down from pagan groups who worshiped trees. Ancient Celts regarded trees as homes of certain spirits or gods.

Knock on wood
for good luck

A tree worshiper might have laid his hands on a tree when asking favor from the spirits that lived inside it or did so after good fortune as a show of gratitude. He is seeking protection against the anger and envy of the gods who dislike mortals bearing too much pride or who aren’t grateful.

A tree spirit


If a black cat crosses your path, do you have to turn around? Personally, I love black cats and have one to which I’m partial. (I started to say I own one, but of course one doesn’t own a cat, one is staff for a cat.)

Sebastian, our black cat
on what he views as his bed

Once when taking a neighbor somewhere a black cat crossed the road in front of us. The neighbor begged me to turn around and go the other way to avoid bad luck. I thought she was joking at first, but she was serious.

In our family, (more superstition) the number thirteen has been lucky on many occasions. Our eldest daughter was born on the thirteenth. She had a medical condition for which we found a solution on the thirteenth. Several other pieces of good fortune have occurred on the thirteenth.

My book THE TEXAN’S IRISH BRIDE includes many of the Irish bride’s superstitions. Researching them was interesting. If you haven’t read that book, I hope you will—it’s free on Amazon at http://a.co/j1U15UZ




In the meantime, don’t worry about black cats crossing your path… um, knock on wood.

1 comment:

Jacquie Rogers said...

My son was born on Friday the 13th so certainly no bad luck there!

I really loved The Texan's Irish Bride. I loved her father--he had something to say about everything. LOL. Awesome book.