Friday, November 04, 2022

CHARACTER INTERVIEW -- ROSALIN ARNOLD

 By Caroline Clemmons

Today we welcome Rosalin Arnold to the blog. Those of you who read JESSE AND THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE will remember that Rosalin is the heroine of that book. Rosalin, thank for coming your interview.

Thank you for inviting me today. I hope I’m dressed appropriately.

You look lovely. Tell our readers where you were born and grew up.

My parents died when I was four. I was sent to an orphanage. Life there was grim. I wasn’t exactly mistreated, but the staff members were not fond of children. We were often shamed for being orphans, as if we could help the situation.

 

That’s terrible. Hard to imagine people working at an orphanage if they didn’t like children, but I hear that is too often the case. What did you do after you left the orphanage?

Oh, I hate to admit what happened. You see, I started out working in an eatery as a waitress. It wasn’t too bad—until I met this young man named Johnny. He convinced me he could find me a better job where I’d make more money for easier work. Now I know if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

 What happened, Rosalin?

The interview for the job went well, but I didn’t really understand what I’d be doing. I was so naïve. When it was too late, I learned the work was picking pockets for a man who was nothing less than the devil incarnate. He trapped people into working for him under threat of death if they tried to leave. I was terrified of him, but I didn’t let him know I was. Even talking about him makes me shudder. I wanted to escape, but was afraid to try. I admit it took me three years before I could get my plan in action.

Rosalin Arnold
 

Did you have friends there to help you?

My best friend was my roommate. She grew up in an orphanage, too. We tried to stick together, but we had to pickpockets to survive. Neither of us did very well. I was good at picking pockets, but I wouldn’t take money from someone unless they looked as if they could afford to lose it. My friend wasn’t very good at picking pockets. I didn’t let her in on my plan, but I knew I would take her with me.

Rosalin's roommate

 So, you mean you ran away?

I was so frightened, but our evil boss threatened to send my roommate to one of his so-called hotels. He was looking at me with lustful eyes, but I wouldn’t become his mistress. There was the sweetest little boy who was often beaten because he didn’t bring in enough money. I couldn’t leave without them, could I?

Boy when Rosalin met him
 

That sounds frightening. What happened?

Oh, so much, it would take a long time to tell you! But, I don’t think I should spoil the story for you. By the way, Jesse is a Texas sheriff. He is so handsome and good and kind, my heart beats faster just thinking about him. You can learn all the details if you read JESSE AND THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BD64JC1D?ref_=pe_3052080_276849420

Stay safe and keep reading!

No comments: