Friday, November 18, 2022

MY HAPPY PLACE

By Caroline Clemmons

Louis L’Amour once stated he could write sitting in a folding chair in the center of Hollywood and Vine while balancing a portable typewriter on his lap. I love his books, own copies and have read most of them. Don’t you admire his ability? I prefer a few more creature comforts to write my stories.

Snacks are important to
fuel the writer. Sure they are.


I’m not sure I could shut out all the distractions offered at Hollywood and Vine. I grew up in a loud household and learned to shut out noises around me. One of the ways I accomplished this is listening to music. Many “experts” say listening to music while writing helps give the text rhythm and flow. Mozart’s music is most often recommended.  I don’t know about that, but it is pleasant. I subscribe to Pandora and wear headphones to listen to classical music. If I hear lyrics, they distract me and I want to sing along. Since my singing ability is such that when I sing, someone rushes in to see how badly I’m injured, it’s best to avoid vocalizing.

Except for missing clutter,
this could be my desk.


My desktop PC is where I write. I have a laptop, and I use it occasionally, especially if for some reason I don’t feel like sitting at my desk. My first choice is the desktop PC. From my friend Jacquie Rogers, I learned that a television makes a great large computer monitor. We seldom used our bedroom TV set, so it has been re-purposed as my monitor. I love having this large monitor and it cuts down on eye strain. Since Covid left me with vision problems, the large monitor is a blessing.

 Many years ago when I took a community education class on writing fiction to sell, the instructor (the late science fiction writer Warren Norwood) said a writer’s chair is THE most important piece of equipment. I’m not certain I agree, but if a chair doesn’t support your back and arms and protect your posture, how can you sit for hours?

Last on my list is my own little office. It may be small but it offers a refuge where I can retreat to write. Included are bookshelves, my knick knacks, and wall decorations. I’m sentimental, so I have a lot of memorabilia. My husband and I share the room designated as our office, and a row of bookcases divide the space. Each half is small, but my office is my happy place.

Where is your happy place? Tell me about it in the comments.

1 comment:

Stephanie Suesan Smith, Ph.D. said...

I have two happy places. One is my garden plot, where I can get my hands in the dirt and literally and figuratively ground myself. The other one is my bedroom, where I can lay in bed and read with my dog next to me.