Friday, May 24, 2024

NEWLYWEDS

 By Caroline Clemmons

Every newlywed couple has a period of discovery where they learn more about each other. When Hero and I married, we'd known one another since we were teens growing up on the same side of Lubbock, Texas, and attending the same church. There were still many discoveries as we settled into our happily-ever-after. 

Imagine how difficult it must have been for a mail order bride and her groom to adjust to married life. If you're interested in reading about some actual mail order brides, read Chris Ennss' book, Hearts West. Hopefully, you'll be interested in reading about Keith and Elliana Martin in Harrigan Springs, Texas. That's book 5 in the Texas Hill Country Brides, KEITH AND THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE. It's a bit different in that--while Keith contacted the matchmaker--the bride's family attorney arranged for her to marry Keith.

In case you haven't yet read the book, here's the Amazon link 

https://www.amazon.com/Keith-Order-Bride-Country-Brides-ebook/dp/B0CW7B2GZS/



Here's an excerpt to tempt you:

She sat erect and sent him an unyielding glare. “What an unkind thing to say. What have I said or done to give you that impression?”

Uh-oh, he had better tiptoe around that subject. “Nothing at all. I just meant that most people, even kind and generous ones, want to control their funds.”

“Well, you’ll find that I am not ‘most people.’ I am just what I say and what you see.”

Elliana Martin

He held his hands out at his sides then dropped them back to the arms of his chair. “I apologize for offending you. I assure you it was not my intention.”

Her lovely brow remained furrowed and her vivid blue eyes narrowed. “I should hope not. Were you not told I’m quiet, kind, and generous?”

“As a matter of fact, you were described as so perfect that the description would only fit a saint. I see now that you possess many of those qualities. I suppose I’ll see more of them as we become better acquainted.”

“Now you’re making fun of me, but it’s all right. I’m not a bad sport unless you try to bully me.”

“I wasn’t making fun, and I don’t like bullies, either. An uncle and a couple of my cousins are terrible bullies and mean as anyone can be. The only reason they’re not in jail is that they’ve paid off some of the police and haven’t been caught by others. My father is almost as bad and does as my uncle tells him. I’m relieved I’ll never see them again.”

“Don’t you intend to visit your parents?”

“Never!” He leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. “Elliana, in my family, I’m the white sheep. The rest are not people you’d ever want to meet. Imagine an entire family of people like Trey. They don’t even know where I am. It’s important to keep it that way.”

“Oh, that is severe… and sad.” She stared at her hands a minute then looked up at him. “I guess we’ll have to start our own family and include friends here.”

“That’s my plan. We can’t choose our family members related by blood, but we can choose good friends to become our family.”

She let out a sigh. “I’m glad we can agree.”


Sty safe and keep reading!

 


No comments: