Wednesday, June 09, 2010

We Are Not Alone--A Family Affair

Friends and I went to lunch today after a meeting. We were discussing family, helping one another, and being alone. One of my friends is divorced, one a widow, and the other and I are happily married. Each of us has children who we think are the greatest children in the world. But we didn't argue over who's child was the most brilliant, the sweetest. (What would be the point, when I know mine are?) We were talking doing things on our own.

Fortunately for me, my Hero husband and my two Darling Daughters are very supportive of my writing passion. Hero keeps the computer working and the house running and does errands so that I can keep writing. Darling 1 helps with research, promotion, with my blog template, and with all kinds of questions. Darling 2 is also good for research. It's as if I have an auxillary staff. LOL Wow, I've always wanted a staff.

Not all writers are so fortunate. I remember one Harlequin writer several years ago who was well on her way up the ladder whose husband resented her spending time writing and killed her. What a shock that was to the writing community! Pardon my prejudice, but I always think that sort of thing happens to people who don't read. Maybe her husband didn't read books, even though she wrote them. Very sad situation, for she was a young woman. Readers and Writers should live to a higher standard in my opinion. Don't ask me why I think that. I know it's not logical but I can't prevent the thought. But I digressed.

The point of this is that success at writing takes more than one person pecking away at the keyboard. I don't mean monetary success because, let's face it, I'm not raking in the dough here, folks. I mean success at productive output. Pages written. Books completed. Books marketed. Family members must cooperate and support the writer if in no other way than not interupting. So, if you're a writer, thank your family. If you're a reader, thank a writer--and a teacher. LOL

Don't forget to leave a comment for the Saturday prize drawing. Put your email in the comment. Follow or tell me you're a follower for an additonal entry. You know the drill.
.

8 comments:

Rebecca Draco-Savage-Giallongo said...

SCAM

IGNORE EMAILS FROM GRGIALL@YAHOO.COM
IT'S A SCAM;
IDENTITY STOLEN FROM ME;
USING OLD EMAIL TO TRY TO GET MONEY;
MY NEW EMAIL IS:
REBECCACAPRI@YAHOO.COM
PLEASE PASS THIS ON SO NO ONE ELSE WILL GET HURT BY THIS;
STAY OFF TAGGED.OM
I'M STUPID
I'LL NEVER GET ON IT AGAIN
I THINK THAT'S WHERE THIS ALL STARTED
NOT SURE, BUT I THINK IT WAS SOMEONE ON THERE;
I CAN'T EVEN GET ON MY WEBSITE OR RECEIVE EMAILS THROGUH IT;
SO IF YOU TRY REBECCASAVAGE.COM
THAT WON'T WORK EITHER
YAHOO.COM BLOCKED ME FROM EVERYTHING, OR THE HACKER DID, BUT HE/SHE IS STILL SENDING EMAILS...IRONIC, HUH?

Margaret Tanner said...

I agree with you Caroline, without family support a writers career is dead in the water. I know a lady, brilliant writer, but she gave it all away because her husband kept sneering at her "wasting time."
Made my blood boil.
Thank goodness we both have supportive family.
Cheers

Margaret

Mary Ricksen said...

Horrible Rebecca, just awful. The death of the author by her husbands hand is most terrible. He had to be awfully jealous of her time with anyone or thing but him.
I'm glad I stayed off the tagged thing. Ugh! So we can only reach you here?

Mary Ricksen said...

Caroline what wonderful prospective you have. Makes for a great storyteller!!
But you can do it on your own. Some people have no support, but they still write. It just makes life a whole lot easier if you have that support doesn't it.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Rebecca, that's why I was only on Tagged a couple of days. Even though I checked only friends could see my name/profile, I kept receiving tags from the scariest looking people. So sorry you have had all this trouble, though. What a pain!

Caroline Clemmons said...

Margaret, I also have a friend who stopped writing because it annoyed her husband. This was after she moved away from her great job and friends to live on the side of a mountain. The road and power lines literally end with their house. I believe he was afraid if she was successful she would leave him, but she wouldn't.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Mary, I know a lot of people who are divorced, widowed, or single who write successfully. And I suppose if you live alone you can please yourself and that would give you more time. Maybe--there are still a minimum number of chores that must be done. Remember that movie with Michael Douglas and Kathryn Turner where she's a romance novelist? She finished her book and the house was covered with sticky notes to buy this or that. That was my favorite part of the movie. I'm just glad I have a supportive husband and daughters. I didn't mind living alone before Hero and I married, but we've spent all these years training one another. LOL

Stephanie Suesan Smith, Ph.D. said...

Every email provider has a provision to report a hacked account. Yahoo's page is here http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/security/account_security/security-02.html;_ylt=AsnE6bZUQKPojqIcB4ggljimXyN4.

If you call your web page provider, they also have ways of fixing the problem. You usually need the credit card you paid with and some personal information. Then they reset the passwords and let you back in.

The research department