Friday, July 12, 2024

HOW IT ALL BEGAN...

 By Caroline Clemmons

 

Ever since my family had a German couple as landlords when I was a little girl in Bakersfield, California, I have been fascinated by the German language—and the country. Our landlords spoke German when nosy little girls were near. I suspect they hoped it would discourage me, but it only caused me to eavesdrop whenever I could. That wasn’t often. Of course, my mother would not have permitted it if she had known.

My fascination didn’t wane after my family moved back to Texas, but I couldn't do much to feed my obsession except read the encyclopedias. I took German 101 at Texas Tech University in Lubbock. The professor was an  exchange professor from Germany. His stories of his homeland increased my desire to visit there. Finally, after many years, my husband began traveling to Germany occasionally. I was able to tag along several times.

In the meantime, both our daughters had taken German classes. On one trip they accompanied us. Our oldest had her heart set on a genuine cuckoo clock. In my favorite city of Munich, she had practiced how to ask for one in a shop. The first place we tried didn’t have them, but the clerk gave us directions in German to a clock shop not far away. I could tell she spoke English and was humoring our daughter. With only our smattering of German, we were elated when we understood the directions and found the right shop. Sadly, now we couldn’t do it—use it or lose it! We lost it.

When I thought of starting a fresh historical western romance mail order bride series, I wanted the first brides to be German. The area I love most is Bavaria. So, Adelheid “Heidi” Roth became the first mail order bride for the new sweet series, the Texas Hill Country Mail Order Brides. Her groom is Gentry McRae. (You may notice that is not the name of the groom to whom she commits herself in the excerpt below.)

Heidi


Heidi is a beautiful blond of 25 and is 5’ 10” tall. Without consciously intending it, Heidi’s family takes advantage of her. Well, maybe her sister intends to do so. Although Heidi has a quick temper, she usually keeps it in check rather than create strife in her family. Her spoiled younger sister, Willhamina, makes no attempt to hide her feeling of superiority because she is married and Heidi is not. 

Heidi's Bavarian Hometown


Several times recently, the local matchmaker has invited Heidi to visit her regarding Johann Meyer, a former resident who is now living in America. His mother also calls on Heidi. However, Heidi wants to find a husband on her own. One day, insults go too far and Heidi’s control snaps. She throws her pride and her apron aside and goes to the matchmaker.

Here the excerpt of the result:

Although she hated to leave her parents, she was tired of her family members criticizing her. If she needed to support herself, she could cook and sew and clean and do accounts. Her heart pounded so loud she thought Mrs. Heinz must hear it.

Heidi took a deep breath. “I believe Johann and I can make a good marriage.”

The matchmaker leaned back and clasped her hands to her chest. “Wonderful, my dear! You are a beautiful woman and a good daughter. I know how hard you work to help your mother, and even find time to help Mr. Schneider with his bookkeeping.”

“Thank you,” was all Heidi could say.

“I am so pleased you will have your own home—and it sounds like a very nice one. I have your funds and your travel arrangements. Mrs. Meyer was so sure you would accept that she has given me your tickets and the cash you’ll need for incidentals.”

Heidi cleared her throat to remove the lump that had lodged there. “You mean… you mean I am supposed to leave immediately?”

Mrs. Heinz held up a hand in a motion to halt. “You must get to your ship by the end of the month. To do so, you must leave in fourteen days. Please write Johann a letter today while you are here. I will mail it immediately so he will have it before you arrive.” She handed Heidi several sheets of paper and set the inkwell and pen near her.

Gentry, groom by default


Heidi travels for weeks to reach Harrigan Springs, Texas. When she arrives, huge surprises await her. If you haven’t read GENTRY AND THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE, I hope you’ll do so and then follow the series. You don't need to read the books in order, but you'll enjoy them more if you do. Each book is available in e-book and print. They are all enrolled in Kindle Unlimited. Here’s the Amazon link for GENTRY.

https://www.amazon.com/Gentry-Mail-Order-Bride-Country-

ebook/dp/B0B6YN6QHK

 

Thanks for stopping by. Stay safe and keep reading! 

No comments: