Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Scared Melody by Heather E. Andrews


 Scarred Melody 

Bold Melodies, Book One 

By Heather E. Andrews 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P5Q6ZDP 

 

“I am his song, and he is my melody, and the world was chanting to our rhythm.” 


“We all have scars, El. The only difference is I can see yours.” 

 

Elsie 

All I knew was music. Writing it, playing it. The sway of the melody traveled through me. It kept me company as I hid my face under a mask. 

My dream of singing in front of the crowds was long forgotten. Now I hide in the shadows, only emerging to help fellow artists launch their careers. 

Enter Skyler Dalton, my teenage heartthrob. 

 

Skyler 

My best friend died. My last album bombed. I punched out a paparazzi. 

Life hasn’t been going my way. 

The label offered an ultimatum, work with a professional songwriter to salvage my solo career or hit the road. 

Luckily, Elsie was easy to work with. I wasn’t looking for love, but what I found was a lot more than just a new song... 


Excerpt


Elsie 

When Skyler strummed the final chord, he closed his eyes. I savored the moment with him, enjoying what we’d created together.  

“I’ve never enjoyed singing that song so much,” his voice choked with emotion. 

I smiled, memories racing through my mind. “After my accident, when I realized how my life was going to change, I listened to that song on repeat. Nothing was going to be the same again. I tried—still try—to accept it.  

“How did things change for you?” He put down the guitar gently on the stand. 

“For the longest time, I wanted to be like my mom. To be on stage feeling the electricity from the crowd, creating an experience with them and the music.” I stared off into the distance, my eyes glassing over with tears. “I wanted to travel with my mother back then. We were going to be the Clarke Ladies on tour. Like the Judds!” Giggling, I remembered how thoroughly I’d planned it in my head. “But then she was gone.” 

“Elsie, you can still perform. There’s nothing stopping you. Scar or not, you’d take the music world over.” 

“Maybe. But I wouldn’t be with my mother.” I tried hard to put the idea of being on stage out of my mind, despite how much Amelia pushed. Facing the hard wall of public scrutiny was exhausting to think about. 

“It would still be amazing. Elsie, you are gifted. Your mother would be proud of you.” 

I turned my head away, not able to look him in the eye as a tear slipped down my cheek.  

“You are so talented, El. I’ve never seen anything like it. Your eyes light up like the Fourth of July when you play. I can see a stream of joy radiating from your body. It’s the most exquisite thing I’ve ever seen.” His voice had gone soft–nearly a whisper. 

He stared at me, his face intent. I saw the truth in his eyes. He really felt this way.  

The man I’d idolized and adored from afar since I was eleven years old called me exquisite.  

What a beautiful word. 




Author Bio 

 

Heather E. Andrews has been reading romance since the age of twelve. She lives as a disgruntled pug-mother in Albany, NY. She is the baby of nine children and slaves away taking care of her two entitled pugs and four spoiled guinea pigs. Her only escapes in life are reading, writing, and Star Trek reruns. 


Pen Name: Heather E. Andrews 

Email address: h.e.andrewsauthor@gmail.com  

Website and Blog www.heather-e-andrews.com 

Amazon Author Page 

https://www.amazon.com/Heather-E-Andrews/e/B09MRBQP4X/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_ebooks_1 

 

No comments: